A Singaporean man went viral on TikTok after he posted a heartwarming video of his grandmother’s wholesome reaction to his telling her he is gay.
Unconditional love: On Oct. 2, @shaunshyen shared the tear-jerking moment on TikTok of him coming out to his grandmother, Must Share News reported. The video has received over 1.2 million views, over 227,000 likes and more than 3,300 comments at the time of this writing.
@shaunshyenI’ve always felt guilty that I can’t give her a wedding to attend 😭 #comingout #grandma #grandmasoftiktok #tiktoksg♬ Married Life (From “Up”) – Sergy el Som
- The video starts with Shyen arriving at his grandmother’s flat in Singapore. “Look how happy she is,” the on-screen caption reads as she flashes a big smile at the sight of her grandson.
- The two bonded over a Channel 5 drama as Shyen tries to find the right time to break the news to her. After the show ends, Shyen finally reveals to his grandmother that he is gay.
- “When I was young, I have known this…I told my dad and mom that I like guys. Are you okay with that?” Shyen asks her in Mandarin.
- Surprised at the revelation, his grandmother replies with a “huh.” He then asks her if she is okay with it, and without any second thoughts, she says, “It doesn’t matter.”
- She reassures him again after he tells her there will not be any wedding because he’s not allowed to get married.
Not heartbroken: Shyen posted another video the following day as proof that his grandmother was not heartbroken after he came out to her. In the short clip, the elderly woman can even be seen joking when she sees him, saying, “Naughty boy is back again.”
@shaunshyenReply to @super_grumpy88 Gave her a surprise visit to make sure she’s okay ❤️ #grandma #grandmasoftiktok #unconditionallove #comingout♬ SAD – Instrumental – Nhím Stone
- Shyen’s grandmother reassures him that she has no regrets over what he shared with her told her on his last visit. He then tells her that he loves her, to which she replies, “I know, and I love you too. I love all my grandchildren as they are precious to me.”
According to the law: Singapore is one of the several countries in Asia that still criminalizes same-sex relationships between two consenting adult males, according to Hurights Osaka. Same-sex relationships between two adult females are reportedly legal in the city-state.
- A man can face up to two years in prison if he is convicted of having sexual relations with another man under Section 337A of Singapore’s Penal Code. However, the Singaporean government assured the public in 2007 that they would not prosecute consensual sex among men in private.
Featured Image via @shaunshyen