A TikTok user traveled from Los Angeles to Seoul, South Korea to remove a “love lock” she and her ex had attached in 2019 to a symbolic fence in Namsan Tower.
@kassieyeungSnip snip😈 ##seoul ##seoultravel ##seoul_korea ##seoultower ##lovelock ##breakup ##petty ##korea ##breakuptiktok ##pettytiktok ##heartbreak♬ Monkeys Spinning Monkeys – Kevin MacLeod
Broken lock: On Wednesday, Kassie Yeung, 23, posted a video about her 5,953-mile journey on TikTok, where it accumulated 4.9 million views and 1.1 million likes as of this writing.
- Yeung and her ex had left a love lock at the popular tourist attraction that summer. Couples would add a lock to the fence atop the tower as a symbol of their love, according to the South Korean government website.
- She went back to the tower by herself, searching through hundreds of locks to find the one they left.
- After 30 minutes, she found it and cut it off with a wire cutter out of “pettiness,” she told Insider.
- Yeung’s TikTok video shows part of her journey from the plane up to the area where she left her lock.
- The post attracted many positive responses from commenters who appreciated her efforts in pushing through with the symbolic “break up.”
Not just the lock: Yeung said her trip was not just about removing her old love lock from the tower. She was also pursuing a backup dancing career in Seoul.
- According to Yeung, the lock-cutting detour came about after she remembered about it as she was planning the trip.
- Yeung also wanted to create a relatable video for her TikTok followers.
- “It is relevant in the sense that everyone goes through relationships, breakups, and possibly having love locks with ex-lovers,” she was quoted as saying.
Featured Image via @kassieyeung