A TikTok video showing an Asian father telling a university student to “go back to your country” has recently gone viral.
What happened: The video, posted by TikTok user @graccxx on Sunday, has been watched more than 6.4 million times, at the time of this writing.
- The TikTok user attends the University of Pittsburgh, Daily Dot reported.
- Comments under her video also stated she filmed the entire encounter in secret as proof for the campus police who were on their way at the time.
- “My roommate’s dad harassing my boyfriend for not wearing a mask in my own room,” the on-video caption read.
- In the now-viral video, her boyfriend can be seen sitting while being yelled at by the Asian father. The boyfriend points out that he is too close to him, but the man interrupts him and says, “Close your mouth! Wear a mask!”
- He then asks the boyfriend if he reads English, to which he replies, “Nah, I’m [unintelligible]. Don’t read any English.” The father then says, “Okay, you don’t read English. Then you should go back to your country, man. I don’t know where you’re from.”
- “Is this a joke right now?” the boyfriend asks. He then stands up and asks his girlfriend’s roommate, “Are you just going to let your dad say this to me?” to which she replies, “Do you know how you guys have been treating me lately? I’m not talking to you guys about any [unintelligible].”
- The two men proceed to have a stand-off as the Asian father says, “I’m from Hong Kong! I know English!”
Other details: She and her roommate are Asians. She also alleged her roommate defended her parents during the encounter and that her roommate’s mother tried to put her hand on the TikTok user to stop her from recording.