Details on the event: The virtual table reading of “Second Act,” released in 2018, will be held tomorrow at 6 p.m. MT/8 p.m. ET. The first 1,000 registrants will have an opportunity to take part in building their first school in Madagascar. The event will also include a silent auction.
- The film, directed by Peter Segal, features the main character Maya as she navigates life and receives second chances.
- Actors who will be part of the reading include Kelly Hu as the lead, original cast member Charlyne Yi, Amy Okuda, Kearran Giovanni, Scott Takeda, Adam Ferrara, Ludwig Manukian, Dagney Kerr, Doug Spearman, original cast member Dierdre Friel, Nicole J. Butler, Jeremy Cohenour and Dominic Burgess.
- Hu has movie credits in “The Scorpion King,” X-Men 2” and more.
- Thinking Huts aims to raise $180,000 to build their first 3D printed school in their pilot location to further their mission of “increasing global access to education.”
One school at a time: The Colorado-based organization was founded by entrepreneur and Chinese adoptee Maggie Grout, 21, to use technology in solving humanitarian problems.
- The non-profit “envision(s) a future where quality education is accessible by building 3D printed schools where infrastructure is needed most,” according to their website.
- Grout affirmed representation was important to her in casting decisions. She wants to shed “much-needed light” while supporting the building project.
- “Representation matters and I am thrilled to champion the diverse voices I wish I had seen growing up in our highly anticipated summer benefit,” Grout said. “I look forward to changing the narrative in the nonprofit world and seeing leaders who look like me leading the way.”