After a 48-year-old taxi driver was stabbed and killed by a passenger on Oct. 12, Hong Kong Taxi and Public Light Bus Association raised over half a million Hong Kong dollars for his family.
Murder and arrest: Wai Kim Hung, 48, was stabbed in the neck by a passenger while working as a taxi driver in San Wai, Hong Kong.
- The incident was believed to have happened at 5 a.m. on Oct. 12, according to Hong Kong Police.
- Wai was pronounced dead when police found him, having bled out from his neck.
- HK Police alerted citizens through Twitter to be on the lookout for the suspect: a “dangerous” and “violent” man in his 30s.
- Citizens notified HK Police after sighting the suspect on Lamma Island, and police arrested him on Oct. 13.
#LongArmOfTheLaw|13/10—#HKPF arrested murder suspect(slashed driver in #SaiWan—12/10)upon citizen’s report of sighting of the man amid full-on probe on #Lamma.We thank all citizens who gave info—key to swift arrest.#Police-public collab—once again proved crucial in #FightingCrime https://t.co/xQnTVh1TdI pic.twitter.com/EUm2XmBLop
— Hong Kong Police Force (@hkpoliceforce) October 14, 2021
Donations: Vice-chairman of the Hong Kong Taxi and Public Light Bus Association Paul Lam said a total of HK$568,060 (approximately $73,000) had been raised, reported Hong Kong Free Press.
- Wai’s daughter and wife, Yan Zhang, wrote a letter to the public, thanking them for their support after Wai’s murder.
- “My husband was innocent, so I lost my love, and my children lost their father,” Wai’s widow wrote in the letter translated by NextShark. “At this difficult time, we have received the sympathy and concern of many people, especially the colleagues and enthusiasts of my husband’s taxi and small bus, who took the lead to lend a helping hand to raise money and help us tide over the difficulties!”
- She concluded her letter: “Everyone’s support and care make us feel warm, which can help us get out of the pain. People are good, and there is love in the world! We are grateful again!”
Featured Image via Nicolas Hoizey