- An iconic photo showing an 8-year-old Naomi Osaka watching a 22-year-old Rafael Nadal competing at the 2006 US Open emerged on Twitter over the weekend.
- Twitter user @miathermopol1s, who posted the photo, said the photo was from Aug. 23, 2006.
- The image shows Osaka in the stands with her younger sister Mari Osaka, who also later competed in several WTA and ITF matches.
- Osaka has previously spoken about her adoration of Nadal, telling WTA Tennis in April, "I know that every kid growing up playing tennis in the world has pretended to be Nadal at least once."
- In the very stadium she watched the Spaniard, the Arthur Ashe Stadium, Osaka won the US Open trophy some 12 years later.
An iconic photo featuring a very young Naomi Osaka watching a 22-year-old Rafael Nadal compete at the US Open is making the rounds on social media.
In the image, the Japanese Haitian future WTA Tour champion can be seen in the stands right behind the Spanish tennis legend.