- Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg took to Instagram to share a video of himself sparring with mixed martial artist Khai “The Shadow” Wu before the fighter made his UFC debut against Joshua Dillon on Saturday night.
- In the video, the 38-year-old tech entrepreneur is seen exchanging punches, kicks and grapples with the 27-year-old MMA fighter.
- The video immediately gained millions of views and attracted the support of many figures in the MMA world.
- "This is great! I'm so happy to see this," UFC color commentator and podcast host Joe Rogan commented. "Training looks solid too!"
- “Yo!!! F*cking awesome Mark!” MMA superstar Conor McGregor wrote.
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg lit up social media with a video of himself sparring with mixed martial artist Khai “The Shadow” Wu.
- Ro Malabanan, a Filipino American mixed martial artist, reportedly witnessed a man sucker-punching a construction worker in SoHo, New York City, on July 27.
- Malabanan chased after the attacker, later identified as 28 year-old Samuel Frazier, and subdued him until police arrived, according to reports.
- Frazier was accused of assaulting six men along Broadway in SoHo prior to the incident.
- The New York Police Department has arrested the assailant, who has been charged with two counts of assault.
A Filipino American mixed martial artist reportedly stopped an attacker after witnessing him hit another man in an unprovoked attack in New York City.
Ro Malabanan, a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, was heading to work when saw a homeless man, later identified as 28-year-old Samuel Frazier, sucker-punch a construction worker in SoHo on July 27, according to reports.
- Train 4 Life Center in Suisun City, California, claims Omari Garland, the man accused of pistol-whipping and robbing a 70-year-old Asian man in Fairfield last month, picked a fight with another Asian man at their gym.
- Garland allegedly threatened the smallest man in the gym, who turned out to be Terrance “Wrong Turn” Saeteurn, a pro MMA fighter.
- Garland can be seen calling timeout in the video shortly after beginning his fight with Saeteurn.
- Garland is suspected of being the same man who was previously arrested and charged with felony robbery for assaulting a senior and robbing his cellphone at gunpoint on July 7.
- The accused posted his $45,000 bail on July 8, according to court records. Garland is scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 5 for early arraignment.
Omari Garland, the man accused of pistol-whipping and robbing a 70-year-old Asian man in Fairfield last month, allegedly picked a fight with another Asian man at a gym in California.
The Train 4 Life Center in Suisun City explained that Garland allegedly walked into the martial arts gym, signed a waiver to train and decided to pick on an opponent not of his own size, according to a post on their Instagram account.
- Boxing legend Floyd Mayweather, 45, is set to face off against Japanese MMA fighter Mikuru Asakura, 29, in an exhibition boxing match in September.
- During introductions, a composed Asakura in sunglasses stated, “I’m an MMA fighter but I’m going to use this opportunity and I’m going to use [Mayweather] to raise my name and value internationally. I will win this fight.”
- Mayweather appeared even more relaxed, sharing that his legacy was “already engraved in stone,” referring to his recent induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
- Despite Asakura’s impressive record of 16-3, Mayweather is heavily favored to win, having retired with a 50-0 professional record in 2017.
Boxing legend Floyd Mayweather, 45, is set to face off against Japanese MMA fighter Mikuru Asakura, 29, in an exhibition boxing match in September.
The announcement was made during a press conference on Monday, during which Japan’s Rizin Fighting Federation CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara was seated between the two athletes.
UFC featherweight fighter Jung Chan-sung – better known as “The Korean Zombie” – hinted at his retirement after losing his championship match on Saturday.
In a post-fight Octagon interview with Joe Rogan, Jung, 35, confessed that although he felt “the most confident” he ever has in his career entering the match, he “hit a brick wall” that he “could not overcome” during the fight. The event was Jung’s second-ever title opportunity after losing to José Aldo in 2013.
A now-viral video shows 26-year-old mixed martial arts fighter Khai Wu standing up to a customer for verbally attacking an Asian business owner in Tracy, Calif.
What happened: In the video posted on Nov. 2 by journalist John Hyon Ko, the customer, who was blurred out, can be heard speaking to the boba shop owner in a condescending way for not selling sushi.
MMA fighter and eight-time world champion Miriam Nakamoto, known as “The Queen of Mean,” is set to star in an action-romance movie.
About the film: The film, titled “Wildwood,” will feature Nakamoto as a young woman running from her mother and hitmen. She stumbles into a small town where she is mistaken for a local woman who mysteriously vanished years ago, according to Deadline.
In his home country of South Korea, Sung Bin Jo is already a pretty big deal.
The dashing 28-year old has looks that can rival any K-Pop star, and that has translated to gigs as an image model on television and magazine ads, as well as appearances on shows such as “Bad Papa” and “Cash Back”.
UFC fighter Joanna Jedrzejczyk has earned criticism online for an Instagram story that many found to be insensitive.
The Polish fighter, who is set to face UFC strawweight champion Zhang Weili in March, made fun of her opponent by making a not-so-subtle reference to the coronavirus.
MMA Champions Angela and Christian Lee Win Fights at the World’s Largest Martial Arts Event in History
Sibling duo Angela and Christian Lee both left the cage victorious at ONE: Century in Tokyo on Sunday.
The One: Century event is said to be the largest martial arts event in history where 44 fighters met for 22 matches for dominance. One Championship Chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong explained in July, “I am thrilled to announce that ONE Championship is set to throw the biggest martial arts event in history this October in Tokyo, Japan. The biggest and brightest stars of ONE Championship are ready to shine in Tokyo, and fans will surely not want to miss the festivities.”
Never in the history of mixed martial arts has there ever been concurrent brother-and-sister world champions from a major organization. That all changed earlier this year when Mililani, Hawaii’s Christian Lee joined older sister, ONE Women’s Atomweight World Champion Angela Lee, in becoming a world champion.
The 21-year-old athlete of Singaporean and Korean descent stunned fans when he lifted the ONE Lightweight World Championship from Japanese legend Shinya Aoki last May. Lee is at least 15 years Aoki’s junior, but age mattered very little in a battle between two highly-skilled warriors.
MMA has developed a cult-like following across various countries — acknowledged and respected for the physicality of the sport as well as the difficulty of mastering all areas of martial arts.
However, for the uninitiated, the world of MMA is clouded with misconceptions that could deter many from exploring a lesser-known side to the popular sport and their athletes.