Browsing Tag

hollywood

188 posts

‘Mr. Malcom’s List’ star Freida Pinto on Hollywood now being ‘brave’ enough to offer her diverse roles

  • Actor Freida Pinto opened up to NextShark about navigating Hollywood as a South Asian actor and how Hollywood was not “brave” enough to offer the roles it does now.
  • Pinto first rose to prominence after starring as Latika in the wildly popular 2008 Academy Award-winning film “Slumdog Millionaire.”
  • Her new period drama, “Mr. Malcolm’s List,” tells the story of Mr. Malcolm, a mysterious and wealthy bachelor living in 19th-century London who procures a list of qualities his future wife must have.
  • Pinto plays Selina Dalton, the film’s female lead who is recruited by childhood friend Julia Thistlewait to trick Mr. Malcolm into falling in love with her after a humiliating incident.
  • “A film like ‘Mr. Malcolm’s List’ would’ve never been offered to me in 2008 when I’d just come on the scene with ‘Slumdog Millionaire,’” Pinto shares. “I don’t think there were people brave enough to take the risk at that point in time, or even thinking of taking this risk at that point in time.”

Actor Freida Pinto opened up to NextShark about navigating Hollywood as a South Asian actor and how Hollywood was not “brave” enough to offer the roles it does now. 

Pinto first rose to prominence after starring as Latika in the wildly popular 2008 Academy Award-winning film “Slumdog Millionaire.” She went on to star in several other blockbusters, including “Rise of the Planet Apes” opposite actor James Franco as well as fantasy action film “Immortals” alongside Henry Cavill and Luke Evans.  

Man who attacked Filipino family in North Hollywood drive-thru arrested, charged with hate crimes

  • Nicholas Weber, 31, who reportedly harassed and attacked a Filipino family at a McDonald’s drive-thru in North Hollywood on May 13, was arrested and charged with hate crime enhancements in Orange County at around 7:40 p.m. on June 16.
  • The suspect purportedly rear-ended Nerissa Roque’s car, told her and her daughter Patricia that they were "so Asian" and threatened to kill them. He then allegedly assaulted Gabriel Roque, who arrived at the scene minutes after being called by Patricia, and later choked Nerissa.
  • Weber was arrested on an outstanding felony assault warrant from the Los Angeles Police Department. He is facing charges of felony battery causing serious bodily injury and misdemeanor battery, both with hate crime enhancements, according to court records.
  • On Wednesday, authorities announced that Weber is back in custody in Los Angeles. He is scheduled to be arraigned on Thursday.

The man who reportedly harassed and attacked a Filipino family at a McDonald’s drive-thru in North Hollywood last month has been arrested and charged with hate crime enhancements.

Nicholas Weber, 31, was arrested in Orange County at around 7:40 p.m. on June 16, Costa Mesa Police Department spokesperson Roxi Fyad said in a statement. Authorities reportedly received a call about a man “possibly passed out on the sidewalk” and later identified him as Weber.

Activists demand justice for victims of anti-Asian attack at North Hollywood McDonald’s drive-thru

  • Dozens of supporters stood beside the Roque family outside the Van Nuys District Attorney's Office in Los Angeles on Friday as they urged the authorities to investigate and prosecute Nicholas Weber for allegedly committing a hate crime.
  • The crowd consisted of members from several groups, including the Filipino Migrant Center, the Kabataan Alliance and the National Alliance for Filipino Concerns (NAFCON).
  • “It’s really unfortunate that these kinds of Asian hate cases are not really a priority, unless the media and the community get involved, and attorneys get involved,” Sandy Roxas, the Roque family’s lawyer, said.
  • Nerissa Roque, 47, and her daughter, Patricia, were reportedly ordering at a McDonald’s drive-thru on Victory Boulevard on May 13 when Weber, who was driving a Jeep, rear-ended their car and used a “racist stereotypical accent” while saying he would kill them.
  • Gabriel Roque, 60, rushed to the scene after being called by his wife and daughter. Weber punched Gabriel for trying to intervene, then choked Nerissa for attempting to stop him, according to reports.
  • An arrest warrant was issued for Weber after he failed to appear in court on June 8.

Dozens of supporters rallied outside a courthouse in a Los Angeles neighborhood to demand justice for the Filipino American victims of an alleged hate crime at a McDonald’s drive-thru last month.

Activists stood beside the Roque family outside the Van Nuys District Attorney’s Office on Friday, chanting “Justice for the Roque family” as they urged the authorities to investigate and prosecute Nicholas Weber for committing a hate crime. Some reportedly expressed concern that the Los Angeles Police Department is not investigating the case in-depth.

Photographer James Robinson’s ‘On Golden Days’ recasts history with Asian models in beehives and kitten heels

  • NextShark sat down with Australian Filipino director and photographer James J. Robinson, 26, to talk about his newest photo collection that puts Asian subjects against the backdrop of Old Hollywood glamor.
  • Photographs from his exhibition “On Golden Days,” which opens in Brunswick today, show everyday Asians in beehives, a hairstyle characteristic of the 1960s, kitten heels and boxy-skirt suits reminiscent of the ones worn by former first lady and fashion icon Jackie Kennedy.
  • Robinson describes his exhibition as an effort to unpack the “nostalgia industry,” referring to how we live in a culture that “loves to romanticize and fetishize the past,” while featuring an exclusively Asian cast.
  • His intention was to create an “authentic” product that did not center itself around the “trauma or negative experiences of minorities” but rather on a rewriting of history in which Asian subjects are also dressed in extravagant and beautiful outfits.
  • He also discusses the particularly special connection he formed with actor Vanessa Hudgens, who is also half Filipino.
  • Robinson’s “On Golden Days” will be open from now through May 22 at the Hillvale Gallery in Brunswick, Australia, before making its way to Tokyo in September.

NextShark sat down with Australian Filipino director and photographer James J. Robinson, 26, to talk about his newest collection that puts Asian subjects against the backdrop of Old Hollywood glamor. 

Photographs from his exhibition “On Golden Days,” which opens today at Hillvale Gallery in Brunswick, Australia, show everyday Asians in beehives – a hairstyle characteristic of the 1960s – kitten heels and boxy-skirt suits reminiscent of the ones worn by former first lady and fashion icon Jackie Kennedy.

North Korea’s recent ICBM launch was faked, says South Korea

north korea missile
  • The South Korean defense ministry has determined that North Korea’s recent launch of their most powerful intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) to date was staged.
  • The ministry found that what was previously thought to have been a Hwasong-17 missile was actually a Hwasong-15, a smaller ICBM previously tested in November 2017.
  • Their analysis was based on the missile’s combustion, acceleration and stage separation times. They also found that the ICBM had only two engine nozzles as compared to the Hwasong-17, which is known to have four nozzles.
  • South Korean lawmaker Ha Tae-keung believes the launch was likely staged to make up for a failed test of the real Hwasong-17, which exploded after its liftoff from the North Korean capital on March 16.

South Korean officials said today that North Korea’s recent launch of their most powerful intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) to date was staged using an older missile.

The purported launching of a Hwasong-17 missile on March 24 also came with a Hollywood-style propaganda film of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un overseeing its “success.”

‘Voltron’ live-action film adaptation sparks movie studio bidding war

Voltron
  • A live-action adaptation of the popular sci-fi animated television series “Voltron: Defender of the Universe” was pitched to Hollywood studios.
  • “Red Notice” filmmaker Rawson Marshall Thurber is attached to the project as its director and co-writer.
  • “Voltron: Defender of the Universe,” a syndicated show from the 1980s, was a dubbed and heavily edited version of two unrelated Japanese television series from Toei Animation.
  • Thurber will be creating the screenplay with Ellen Shanman. Todd Lieberman, David Hoberman and Bob Koplar are set to co-produce the film.
  • The project incited a bidding war among six to seven studios, including Warner Bros. Pictures, Universal Pictures and Amazon Studios.

“Voltron: Defender of the Universe,” a popular sci-fi animated television series featuring giant robot lions, is set to receive the live-action treatment, with multiple Hollywood studios expressing interest in the project.

Form feet and legs!

Steven Spielberg slammed for saying ‘Squid Game’ stars were ‘unknown’

steven spielberg

One of the world’s most revered directors is facing backlash for displaying the same “ignorance” many Hollywood reporters have been accused of in their comments about the success of Asian actors. 

Steven Spielberg, known for some of cinematic history’s greatest hits, including “Jurassic Park” and “E.T.,” referred to the cast of “Squid Game” as “unknown” actors while speaking at a Producers Guild of America Awards panel this past weekend. 

John Cho on coming-of-age as an Asian American, ‘Cowboy Bebop’ and racism in Hollywood

john cho book
  • Actor John Cho spoke to NextShark about his new young adult book, “Troublemaker,” an Asian American coming-of-age novel set during the 1992 Los Angeles Riots.
  • Told from the perspective of Korean American middle schooler Jordan, the novel highlights the experiences of his grandfather, parents and sister, highlighting generational differences.
  • Cho spoke about his career in Hollywood, the cancellation of “Cowboy Bebop” and his own journey of understanding his Korean American and Asian American identities.

In “Troublemaker,” actor-turned-author John Cho confronts the difficulties of coming of age as an Asian American in an era that parallels today’s issues. 

The cover of John Cho’s first book “Troublemaker” features the book’s protagonist Jordan, a young Asian American teenager, dressed simply in a white T-shirt and jeans and standing resolutely in the center of the street, his hands in fists, staring straight ahead at a point beyond the reader.

‘Squid Game’ star Jung Ho-yeon to make her Hollywood debut in Alfonso Cuarón thriller with Cate Blanchett

jung hoyeon hollywood
  • “Squid Game” breakout star Jung Ho-yeon signed to one of Hollywood’s top management agencies late last year. Creative Artists Agency (CAA) is home to some of the biggest names in entertainment, including Justin Bieber and Beyoncé.
  • Yesterday, it was announced that Jung would appear in Academy Award winning director Alfonso Cuarón’s upcoming psychological thriller “Disclaimer,” based on a novel by the same name.
  • Jung joins an already star-studded cast with Cate Blanchett, Kevin Kline, Sacha Baron Cohen and Kodi Smit-McPhee set to be in the series.
  • In the show, Jung will play “Kim,” assistant to the thriller’s lead character, Catherine Ravenscroft, a successful television documentary journalist.
  • Kim’s personality is described as ambitious, hardworking and eager to please, looking to Ravenscroft for her big break as a respected leader in the field.
  • The Korean “Squid Game” star appears to be making a home for herself in Hollywood, even calling the food in Los Angeles so good that it is “insane.”

Jung Ho-yeon has been cast alongside Cate Blanchett in Academy Award-winning director Alfonso Cuarón’s new psychological thriller series “Disclaimer.”

Big things in Hollywood are in store for “Squid Game” breakout star Jung Ho-yeon, who signed with Creative Artists Agency (CAA) at the end of last year. CAA is one of the States’ top management agencies, home to some of the most well-known names in  entertainment, including Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and Scarlett Johansson.  

First Super Nintendo World in the US set to open next year at Universal Studios Hollywood

Nintendo World FI
  • Nintendo has announced that its Super Nintendo World theme park at Universal Studios Hollywood is set to open next year.
  • Japan’s Super Nintendo World opened a year ago at the height of the pandemic, allowing only a limited number of guests through its doors.
  • The park will be centered around its most iconic characters — Mario, Luigi and Princess Peach — in what will be a highly “immersive” experience for guests.
  • Nintendo-themed apparel, hats and plush toys will be available for purchase inside the theme park’s main entrance.
  • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which opened in 2016, was the park’s most recent big launch.

Super Nintendo World will debut its first U.S. location at Universal Studios Hollywood in 2023.

On Thursday, March 10, Nintendo released an official announcement stating that Super Nintendo World is set to open next year at Universal Studios Hollywood in Universal City, California. The news comes a year after Japan’s Super Nintendo World opened its doors at Universal Studios Japan in Osaka. 

Hollywood reporters slammed for ‘ignorant’ questions to award-winning ‘Squid Game’ stars

squid game anonymous stars
  • An “Access Hollywood” reporter is facing backlash for asking “Squid Game” stars Lee Jung-jae and Jung Ho-yeon a question that did not recognize their celebrity just after they had both won the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance on Sunday.
  • “What are you going to miss the most about being anonymous?” she asked the two actors, despite the fact that both were already established in their respective fields in other parts of the world.
  • On the same night, E!’s red carpet reporter spoke to the pair about what it was like for them to be near some of the bigger Hollywood actors, drawing criticism that they were highlighting Western celebrities rather than staying focused on the Korean actors’ achievements.
  • Another reporter faced similar criticism back in November when she suggested that Lee was only recently unable to go out unrecognized despite a successful 30-year career.
  • In April last year, “Minari” actress Youn Yuh-jung was subjected to bizarre questioning after making Best Supporting Actress award history at the Oscars, with many social media users criticizing the way some American reporters seemingly undermined her success as a foreign star.

More Hollywood reporters have come under fire for asking foreign celebrities questions that some viewers have found demeaning. The latest incidents involve “Squid Game” actors Lee Jung-jae and Jung Ho-yeon after both had just received awards from the Screen Actors Guild Awards on Sunday. 

Backstage at the ceremony, where Lee and Jung each won Outstanding Performance of a Male/Female Actor in a Drama series on top of another award secured by the show, the actors were asked by an “Access Hollywood” reporter what they were “going to miss the most about being anonymous.”