- Ankita Kumari, a 19-year-old high school student, was set ablaze on Aug. 23 in Jharkhand, India, by Shahrukh Hussain, who drenched her in gasoline after she turned down his marriage proposal, according to reports.
- The incident occurred while Kumari was sleeping at around 4 a.m. local time. He and his friend, whom Kumari identified as Chhotu, allegedly threw petrol into her bedroom window and set her on fire.
- Kumari was rushed to a hospital, where she succumbed to her wounds at around 2:30 a.m. on Aug. 28.
- Hussain was captured smiling in police custody as he was being detained.
- The incident has sparked outrage on social media, with netizens calling for justice for Kumari.
A high school student in India succumbed to her severe burn injuries five days after she was allegedly set on fire by a man whose marriage proposal she rejected.
Ankita Kumari, 19, was set ablaze by Shahrukh Hussain, who drenched her in gasoline while she slept, according to reports.