Authorities have identified a person of interest who targeted three elderly people in Oakland Chinatown on Jan. 31.
OPD thanks our community for providing info that led to a person of interest in this case.
Investigators determined this person has been in custody since Feb 1 on unrelated case. Investigators are working hard to forward this case to the DA’s office for review and charging. https://t.co/qlcb7OvMCd
— Oakland Police Dept. (@oaklandpoliceca) February 7, 2021
- While the authorities have yet to release the man’s name, KTVU identified him as 28-year-old Yahya Muslim.
- “This investigation is in its early stages,” Oakland Police said. “Investigators are working hard to forward this case to the DA’s office for review and charging.”
- Muslim was put in custody for an alleged separate elder abuse case.
What happened: Three elderly, including a 91-year-old man, were attacked outside the Asian Resource Center at the corner of Harrison and 8th streets in Oakland’s Chinatown on Jan. 31.
⚠️ WARNING: this video is hard to watch. Another shocking attack in Oakland’s Chinatown. 8th and Harrison Streets. Outside the Asian Resource Center.
— Dion Lim (@DionLimTV) February 4, 2021
- A surveillance camera captured the moment when the unnamed 91-year-old elderly man was shoved to the ground by the assailant wearing a black hoodie. The man suffered injuries and was taken to the hospital to get treatment.
- The assailant also attacked a 60-year-old man and a 55-year-old woman along Harrison Street. The suspect pushed them to the ground, resulting in the female victim losing consciousness.
- Hollywood actors Daniel Dae Kim and Daniel Wu teamed up to offer a $25,000 reward last Friday to help speed up the arrest and conviction of the suspect.
- A GoFundMe campaign was set up to raise money for hand-held alarm systems for vulnerable residents.
Featured Image via Oakland Police Department