Teen Suffering From Depression Jumps from 25-Story Building, Kills Father Trying to Catch Her
By Ryan General
August 27, 2020
A heartbreaking incident in China ended the life of a father and his daughter following a tragic suicide attempt over the weekend.
Family tragedy: On Aug. 22, a 15-year-old girl jumped off the rooftop of a 25-story building in Sichuan, China, and then landed on her 42-year-old father who had tried to catch her, according to AsiaOne.
- Before the jump, passersby who saw the girl on top of the building notified the local authorities who rushed to the scene.
- Rescue workers soon arrived but the girl jumped as they were setting up an inflatable safety life air pack for her.
- Her father, who tried to break her fall, died along with her due to the impact.
- The rescuers attempted to resuscitate them but were unable to.
- “Everyone knows that a flower pot falling from such a height can kill a person,” a witness was quoted as saying. “But it was his daughter falling from the building, he still tried to catch her regardless of the danger he was in.”
Online speculations: The incident, which remains under police investigations, sparked rumors on the reason for the girl’s actions after footage of it emerged on social media.
- Some Weibo users alleged that the suicide was caused by the girl’s unhappiness in the family over her grades in school.
- Others claimed that the girl was upset due to the piano lessons she was taking.
- Soon, the grieving family addressed the rumors and explained what actually happened.
- According to the girl’s mother, the teenager was suffering from depression.
- She noted that her daughter had already been receiving treatment in the hospital.
- The mother revealed that they had earlier discovered cuts on the girl’s arms, prompting them to seek professional help.
- Both parents have been taking care of the teen since she was diagnosed with depression.
- She then clarified that they bought their daughter a piano and signed her up for lessons after she had already expressed interest in it.
- The deceased father, who worked in construction, was considered the “pillar of the family,” according to his son.
- “What my father did was very selfless,” he said.
Feature Image via Weibo
Share this Article
Share this Article