A South Korean man died last week after being infected with “brain-eating amoeba.”
Following a four-month stay in Thailand, the man, who was in his 50s, returned to his home country on Dec. 10, according to local media.
It was discovered that the man was infected with Naegleria fowleri, which is colloquially known as “brain-eating amoeba.” This is reportedly the first known case of the rare infection in his country.
The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) has stated that there is a low probability of human-to-human transmission of Naegleria fowleri.
The amoeba, which is typically found in warm freshwater, enters the body through the nose and finds its way to the brain, where it destroys brain tissue.
The KDCA has warned local residents to avoid swimming where previous cases have been recorded.
As of 2018, there have been 381 known cases of Naegleria fowleri around the world. The first known case was reported in the United States in 1937.