South Korean actress Song Yoo-jung, best known for her roles in the TV series “Golden Rainbow” and web series “Dear My Name,” passed away in Seoul on Jan. 23.
The story: According to the New York Times, Song’s death was confirmed by representatives at her agency, Sublime Artist Agency.
- No cause of death was officially revealed.
- Song’s death is the latest in a series of youthful deaths by suicide that has shaken the South Korean entertainment industry.
- As reported in Deadline, since 2017, K-pop stars Kim Jong-hyun, Sulli and Goo Hara all committed suicide in their 20s.
- The problem of suicide is not exclusive to the entertainment industry. South Korea has the highest suicide rate among other developed countries, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.
Song’s legacy: Song had been acting since the age of 20, appearing in various commercials, music videos and TV shows.
- Her breakout role came in the web series “Dear My Name” in 2019, in which she played a youthful architecture student searching for her soulmate.
- Song’s agency deemed her “a great actress who performed with passion,” as reported in the Times.
- Song also acted as an advocate for people with disabilities. She served as an ambassador for a South Korean social welfare group Warm Accompaniment, according to Mottokorea.
Featured Image via 연예뉴스 쨈이슈다