South Korean label SM Entertainment has announced the formation of its first female supergroup, Girls On Top, or simply GOT.
Who they are: The group, which will debut in January 2022, will consist of seven members from SM’s existing female acts. This makes them the apparent female parallel to the label’s own SuperM, which debuted in August 2019 and was called the “Avengers of K-Pop.”
- GOT will consist of first generation K-pop legend BoA, Girls’ Generation members Taeyeon and Hyoyeon, Red Velvet members Seulgi and Wendy, and Aespa members Karina and Winter.
- The group is scheduled to hold a special performance on Jan. 1 — likely at SM’s highly-anticipated free and futuristic online concert — and release their debut song on Jan. 3.
- SM has released group and individual teaser photos of some members so far.
Reactions: K-pop fans have expressed excitement at the announcement of GOT, with some lauding SM for managing to form a group that spanned multiple “generations.” Others simply hailed the members as “queens.”
- “SM really be flexin their, ‘We have all the first to fourth generation idols,’” one Instagram user wrote.
- One Twitter user acknowledged BoA, Taeyeon and Hyoyeon’s seniority as K-pop idols: “The power these three have.”
- Meanwhile, others pondered how SM will assign main vocal, main dancer and main rapper positions for the group.
— WithSNSD_TH (@WithSNSD_TH) December 26, 2021
How does it feels to be the baddest btches on earth? pic.twitter.com/yXm5ZRjjEW
— ²⁹A.NE🌐 (@ANeoMulti) December 26, 2021
2022 IS SAVED!!! THE WORLD IS FINALLY HEALING!!! THE VOCALS WOULD BE INSANE~!!!
— 侯美仁 ✨ (@dlckychldzhngl) December 26, 2021
— ræ 🦋 (@yooningty) December 26, 2021
Plot twist: there won’t be any “lead” positions.
They’re all main everything. Karina and Hyo are both main rapper. Wendy, BoA, Winter and Taeyeon are all main vocal. Karina, Seulgi and Hyo are all main dancer.
— Raiden is an NCTzen with InSomnia (@somnia_zen) December 26, 2021
Featured Image via SM Entertainment