- Schwartz mentions how the comic version of the character wouldn’t translate over to a modern audience, so the “Shang-Chi” filmmaking team needed to revisit and update how he would be portrayed.
- Lead actor Simu Liu speaks about the necessity of representation as the clip cuts over to scenes of the fantastical set designs, granting viewers insight into how they were shot.
- “This is an Asian superhero in the MCU. That’s an important distinction for us, and my first reaction to reading the script, I cried,” Liu says. “For so many reasons I cried, because we got to see an Asian superhero saving the world and saving the day, and it was just such a profound moment for me, as a fan, as an actor, as an Asian person.”
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- Bonus content with the home entertainment release includes a gag reel, featuring mishaps on set with the cast and crew; audio commentary from director Destin Daniel Cretton and co-writer Dave Callaham; the making of the film; and 11 deleted scenes.
- Alongside Liu, Awkwafina stars as Katy, Meng’er Zhang as Xialing, Fala Chen as Li, Florian Munteanu as Razor Fist, with Michelle Yeoh as Ying Nan and Tony Leung as Xu Wenwu.