Shake Shack is Selling Korean Gochujang Fried Chicken Sandwiches for a Limited Time
By Isa Peralta
January 6, 2021
Shake Shack will offer Korean-inspired Gochujang menu items at its various branches nationwide until April 5.
What’s on the menu: According to its website, Shake Shack will sell Korean-Style Fried Chick’n, Korean Gochujang Chick’n Bites and Korean Gochujang Fries.
- The Gochujang menu items, which were only available in South Korea last year, have made their way to the United States.
- The chicken sandwich, which was inspired by the Shake Shack team’s time in South Korea, will have a “spicy-sweet gochujang-glazed crispy chicken breast” with “white kimchi slaw and toasted sesame seeds.”
- Shake Shack collaborated with Choi’s Kimchi Co., a family-run kimchi business from Portland, Oregon, to create the white kimchi slaw.
- In addition to the chicken sandwich, Shake Shack will also sell Korean Gochujang Chick’n Bites (crispy, whole white meat chicken bites served with spicy-sweet gochujang mayo sauce) and Korean Gochujang Fries (crispy crinkle-cut fries served with spicy-sweet gochujang mayo sauce).
Where the inspiration came from: Shake Shack’s culinary director, Mark Rosati, told CNN Business that he and his team came up with the idea when they explored the fried chicken restaurant scene in Seoul in 2015.
- “We tried countless joints over the years, immersing ourselves in all of the different styles and finding what makes Seoul such a delicious and iconic city,” Rosati said. “We have come to love the diverse flavor profile Korean fried chicken offers.”
- He explained to Thrillist: “We’re always looking at ways we can add fun and excitement to our menu, and we know that our guests are constantly craving new menu items and flavors from us. We can’t wait to unveil what else we have in store for this year… stay tuned!”
Share this Article
Share this Article