Japanese actress Sei Ashina, known outside of Japan for her role in the 2007 film “Silk,” was found dead in her Tokyo apartment on Monday.
Cause of death: Ashina died at age 36 following what investigators believe to be a suicide, reports Deadline.
- It was the actress’ brother who found her lifeless body.
- She reportedly failed to return her brother’s calls and messages so he checked up on her.
- Investigators did not find any note that would reveal clues to her suicide.
Ashina’s career: Ashina, who has over 70 acting credits under her name on IMDb, began her career in television in the 2002 drama “The Tail of Happiness” (“Shiawase no Shippo”).
- Ashina started out as a model before landing her first acting gig, Variety reports.
- While she has been featured in multiple international projects, many consider her acting stint on “Silk” to be her most memorable role outside of Japan.
- Among her credits include TV series “Nanase: The Psychic Wanderers,” “Aibo: Tokyo Detective Duo,” “The Emperor’s Cook,” “Daisy Luck,” “Hand of God” as well as this year’s “Theseus no fune” (“Ship of Theseus”) and “AI Hokai” (“AI Amok”).
- In a statement, Ashina’s talent agency praised her kindness, noting that her relatives and former co-workers are in deep sorrow over her passing.