Police are looking for a man who harassed and threatened Seattle residents on three separate occasions on Saturday, May 23.
: The Seattle Police Department (SPD) described the man as a white man in his 30s, about 5 feet, 10 inches tall, with a muscular build and dark hair, who had yelled racial slurs and blamed his targets for the pandemic
, as reported by The NY Daily News
- The first incident took place at a Thai restaurant where the man threw and kicked items around and towards the staff, threatening to throw a table at one of the employees, according to the police report.
- The second incident took place an hour later and involved yelling at Asian people in a parking lot and chasing an Asian woman who was driving away in her car, knocking on her window, and demanding to see her ID.
- The third incident inolved the man allegedly harassing an Asian couple, spitting on the male victim’s face while asking them where they were from and continuously yelling until they drove off.
- He was also suspected of an incident on May 16 where a man caught on surveillance footage attacked a couple in a similar manner.
Why this matters: The police have seen an increase in attacks across the city, coinciding with the victimization of Asians across the country as an entire ethnicity has been scapegoated for the outbreak of COVID-19.
- There have been almost 2,000 reports submitted of racist incidents according to Racism is Contagious.
- The SPD encourages those who feel victimized to call 911 or to contact their Bias Crimes Unit at 206-233-5000 if they have tips.
- “The Seattle Police Department is committed to documenting and investigating all bias incidents and crimes,” according to its police report.
Feature Image via Seattle Police Department