Simu Liu is doing the honors of hosting “Saturday Night Live” this weekend with musical guest Saweetie who appears to have gotten into an awkward situation with one of the “SNL” cast members.
Comedic tension: The longest-running sketch comedy show released the promotional video for the upcoming episode, which features the “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” star, the award-winning rapper, and SNL cast members Cecily Strong and Kyle Mooney.
- Liu introduces himself and Saweetie before the rapper says “hello” to Mooney, who awkwardly replies: “Hello, Saweetie.”
- “Do you two know each other?” Strong interjects.
- “We did,” Mooney answers. “Until she broke off our engagement!”
- “OK, is this going to be a problem?” Liu asks.
- “Probably, I don’t know,” Mooney says as he turns to walk off the stage and Saweetie rolls her eyes.
Late-night comedy hero: Liu also stopped by “The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon” to let everyone know some of the movie character impressions he says were rejected by SNL.
- The 32-year-old Canadian actor impressed Fallon by imitating the voice of Emperor Palpatine from “Star Wars” and Gollum from “The Lord of the Rings.”
- Liu received praise from the host and a round of applause from the audience.
- The actor also promoted his appearance on “Sesame Street” where he will introduce the children’s show’s first-ever Asian American muppet, 7-year-old Ji-Young.
Featured Image via Saturday Night Live