A male suspect who took an elderly Asian woman’s bag was recently arrested by San Francisco police with the help of a bystander.
What happened: The unidentified victim put her bag on the ground at the 600 block of Sutter Street at around 7:15 a.m. when the male suspect, 30, snatched it, according to KTVU.
- Authorities said the woman went after him and told him to drop her bag.
- Instead, the suspect started throwing items from inside the bag at her.
- The man allegedly made “swinging gestures” along with verbal threats, but the woman remained unharmed.
Bystander intervention: A witness followed the suspect and was able to help identify him.
- “In this case, this witness was able to go to the aid of the victim and continue to follow the suspect with the victim, and maybe that was the reason why the victim wasn’t hurt in this case,” Officer Robert Rueca of the San Francisco Police Department said.
- The suspect was eventually arrested and charged with robbery, according to NBC Bay Area.
- Authorities are currently investigating the suspect’s mental health status. The victim’s race has yet to be determined as a contributing factor in this crime.