- While lining up his car, Benjamin saw a man at the drive-thru window standing next to a Chinese family in a minivan.
- Benjamin told NextShark he heard the man yell “China virus,” “Because of you the world is like this!” and “Go back to your country!” to the family.
- Outraged, Benjamin drew the man’s attention to himself, telling him to “Get the f*** out.”
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- In a dashcam video Benjamin posted, the alleged aggressor can be heard yelling, “F*** you, motherf***er,” “F***ing Chinese motherf***er” and “I’ll f***ing kill you!” in his direction.
- In a phone video, the man is then seen standing outside Benjamin’s window, telling him, “Nice meeting you.”
- “His demeanor quickly changed when I took out my phone to record his face. Little did he know the exchange was captured on my dashcam,” Benjamin wrote in an Instagram post.
- Aside from his racist behavior, Benjamin criticized the man for violating Canada’s 6-foot (2-meter) social distancing rule.
- “I’m not sure what business he had there at the drive-thru window since he was not in a vehicle. He was also not wearing his mask while being in close proximity to the people in the van,” he told NextShark.
- Benjamin believes the man had committed a threat and a hate crime. “The main outcome I want is for this man to learn from his mistake and change his attitude towards other races. He needs to educate himself and not be so ignorant. We are all in this together no matter the skin color,” he said.
- While he felt upset in the moment, Benjamin is unsure about standing up to the aggressor if his wife and 1-year-old child were in his car. “I may have just stayed quiet as I would fear for the safety of my occupants,” he told NextShark. “But I was alone in my car yesterday so I didn’t hold back.”