A boy who was killed in an alleged murder-suicide by his father has been identified as 9-year-old Pierce O’Loughlin.
Family tragedy: The boy and his father, Stephen O’Loughlin, 49, were both found dead at their home on Scott Street, Marina District in San Francisco on Wednesday afternoon, SF Chronicle reports.
- The boy’s mother, Lesley Hu, asked authorities to check on her son after learning that he did not show up for school that day.
- The father presumably shot his son multiple times before shooting himself with the same gun.
- Hu and O’Loughlin divorced in 2016 and were involved in an ongoing custody battle over their son.
- In Hu’s filings for sole legal custody of the boy last year, she mentioned her ex-husband’s growing adherence to the anti-vaccine movement, which is led by people who believe that vaccines cause autism and other disorders.
- O’Loughlin did not support Hu’s wishes to have their son vaccinated.
Initial reports: Lorie Nachlis, the lawyer representing Hu, mentioned mental illness and domestic violence in a statement on Friday.
- Nachlis further insisted that the boy died over more complex reasons than a disagreement regarding vaccinations, reported KRON4.
- “As Father was seeing that he was losing his control, he punished Lesley with the ultimate act of violence: Killing her child. She will suffer, as intended, for the rest of her life,” Nachlis said.
- The victim’s family is asking for privacy during this time.