“Squid Game” star Park Hae-soo will take on a leading role in the South Korean version of the Spanish crime drama “Money Heist” (“La Casa de Papel”), Netflix announced on Tuesday.
Who he’s playing: Park, who won fans as Cho Sang-woo in “Squid Game,” will play Berlin in the upcoming adaptation. He is the first cast member to be announced for the series, Deadline reported.
- Berlin, whose real name is Andrés de Fonollosa, is a terminally ill jewel thief known for being a narcissist, misogynist and a psychopath. Pedro Alonso played the character in the original series.
About the adaptation: The Korean version, which was first announced in November 2020, comes as the original series ends on Dec. 3. Kim Hong-sun, a leading director in the fantasy crime genre, will helm the new adaptation.
- Kim’s past work include “Black,” “Voice,” “The Guest” and “L.U.C.A.: The Beginning.”
- Ryu Yong-jae, known for “Psychopath Diary” and “My Holo Love,” will spearhead the writing.
- South Korea’s BH Entertainment and Contents Zium will produce the new series. Its first season will reportedly have 12 episodes.
- Alex Pina, who directed the original series, welcomed the idea of a Korean version in a 2020 interview with The Hollywood Reporter, saying,“[The Korean creators] have managed, like our series, to go beyond cultural borders and become a point of reference for thousands of viewers around the world, especially among young people.”