- The shoot was held during the second day of the competition in Chiang Mai, Thailand, according to the New York Post.
- The women are seen in casual wear, holding bubble tea cups and wearing face shields as they perform their customary “beauty queen” wave.
- The women’s combined weight proved too heavy for the bridge, causing it to collapse.
- As the bridge fell, the young women are seen scrambling for safety, with some managing to secure their bubble tea from tipping over.
- They were all immediately brought to the hospital for a checkup and have since been discharged, reports Newsflare.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- Miss Thailand 2020 event director Dr. Adisorn Suddee explained that while the contest is usually held in Bangkok, they selected Chang Mai for a change, confident that it would be safe and secure.
- ”This was the second day of the contest, and it was unexpected that the bridge would break,” Suddee was quoted as saying.
- Taking full responsibility for the incident, venue owner Worapot Chatkanjana donated 500,000 Thai baht ($16,645) to cover the medical bills of the injured women and promised to “have their dresses cleaned professionally.”
- Chatkanjana promised to make the bridge stronger so such an incident would not happen again.
- As the beauty contestants continue their recovery, the remaining 27 contestants are set to proceed, vying for the Miss Thailand crown on pageant night on Dec. 13.
- On top of representing the country at Miss International, the winner will also gain sponsorship deals and hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash and prizes.