The Japanese anime series “One Piece” celebrated its 1,000th episode by remaking its first opening and releasing a new film.
The milestone: On Nov. 20, the legendary anime based on Eiichiro Oda’s manga series of the same name debuted its 1,000th episode.
- To celebrate the milestone, the episode featured the very first opening of the anime from 1999 during the show’s “East Blue” arc.
- Japanese animation studio Toei Animation remade the anime’s original opening with the song “We Are!” by Hiroshi Kitadani. While the remake is similar to the original, Toei Animation added Straw Hat crew members from the show’s Wano Country arc.
- Along with the updated clip, Toei and Japanese publishing company Shueisha also announced their new film titled “One Piece Film: Red.” It is set to premiere on Aug. 6, 2022 in Japan. The release schedule for other countries is yet to be announced.
- The “One Piece” official YouTube channel released a teaser trailer of the new film. It reveals the involvement of the series’ protagonistic Red-Haired Shanks. The teaser’s voice-over poses the question, “Will her voice bring forth eternal happiness or endless imprisonment?”
- Goro Taniguchi, the director of the “Code Geass” anime series, is directing the new “One Piece” film. Oda is set to produce the movie.