A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- The video started when a white young man and an off-camera friend began calling Seantanwanton “ch*nk” and “zipperhead.”
- During the interaction, the young man asked the TikTok user if he knew what a “zipperhead” was. He then gave a detailed description of the derogatory term used against East Asian people.
- Seantanwanton was surprised by the young man’s enthusiasm as he explained the gruesome origins of the racial slur, which was used during the Korean War.
- The Singaporean-born TikTok user immediately cut the video when the man started to compare the Asian slur to the N-word.
- The TikTok user said he always experienced “such things every time I am on the TikTok server.” He hoped the video he shared would help teach “others to be respectful to different people from different countries.”
- He received a lot of support from his followers after sharing the video on social media.