Naomi Osaka has officially withdrawn from the upcoming Wimbledon championships in June for personal reasons, just weeks after quitting the French Open.
Some time off: Osaka’s agent told Reuters on Thursday that the tennis star is “taking some personal time with friends and family” but noted she would be “ready for the Olympics,” set to commence next month in Japan.
- The world No. 2 women’s tennis player quit the French Open last month after organizers threatened her with expulsion and fined her $15,000 when she refused to attend mandatory press conferences, NextShark earlier reported.
- Osaka said she has social anxiety and explained that the media’s line of questioning has been affecting her mental well-being.
- The 23-year-old, however, expressed excitement to play in front of her home fans for the Tokyo Olympics in July.
Organizer responds: The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC), which organizes the Wimbledon championships, said Osaka would be “greatly missed” at this year’s Grand Slam.
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) June 17, 2021
- The AELTC said they “wish her a happy time with her friends and family and look forward to welcoming her back to Wimbledon next year.”
- Osaka had earlier pulled out of a WTA 500 grass-court tournament in Berlin, which usually serves as a tune-up for Wimbledon.
- Osaka, a four-time Grand Slam singles champion, made the third round at the marquee tennis summer event in 2017 and 2018.
Featured Image via Australian Open TV