- “The IOC has never obliged athletes to hold a press conference,” the committee was quoted as saying.
- Complying with the International Tennis Federation means Olympic tennis players would be required to pass through a media-accessible mixed zone, but they don’t have to answer questions.
- Unlike Olympic tournaments, Grand Slam tournaments can issue fines of up to $20,000 for players refusing to attend press conferences.
- Repeat violations can even result in suspension or possible expulsion from a tournament.
- Osaka withdrew from the French Open earlier this year after she was fined for refusing to attend press conferences.
- She cited her struggles with depression as her reason for backing out.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.