A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- Osaka’s video is the “fourth amongst a series of five athlete portraits which are intended to build excitement for the upcoming Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.”
- Prior videos included Bolt, Hawk and Yusra Mardini.
- “I want to inspire the girls out there watching right now. The ones that some people think are too different. Too quiet. Too something. And if we don’t fit that expectation of what people think we’re supposed to be, good! That just means we’re the ones who get to change it,” said Osaka.
- The series “celebrates the strength, resilience, and determination of athletes to bring hope, unity and inspiration to people around the world,” according to a press release.
- The videos aim to “emphasize the IOC’s belief in solidarity that the world only moves forward when it moves together, and the power of the Olympic brand to unite people, communities, and nations across the globe.”
- “The Stronger Together campaign represents the strength of the human experience, reminding people around the world what we can accomplish when we’re united. The Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 will celebrate the spirit of the athletes of the world who have shown incredible resilience in their journey to Tokyo 2020,” stated IOC Digital Engagement and Marketing Director Christopher Carroll.