Naomi Osaka, H.E.R. and Silk Sonic Take Home Wins at 2021 BET Awards
By Thy Nguyen
June 29, 2021
Several stars of Black and AAPI descent, from Naomi Osaka and H.E.R. to Silk Sonic, received awards during this year’s Black Entertainment Television (BET) Awards.
Nominees and winners: The award show took place at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles on June 27, according to CBS News.
- H.E.R. won Best Female R&B/Pop Artist of the Year and was one of the nominees for the Dr. Bobby Jones Best Gospel/Inspirational Award.
- Saweetie was nominated for Best Female Hip Hop Artist and Jhené Aiko was nominated for Best Female R&B/Pop Artist.
- Osaka defeated six other women for Sportswoman of the Year, but she was not there in person to receive her award.
- Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak, otherwise known as Silk Sonic, won Best Group. They were also nominated for the Viewer’s Choice Award and Video of the Year. Mars, alongside music video director Florent Déchard, won Video Director of the Year for Silk Sonic’s “Leave the Door Open” music video.
Performances and reactions: H.E.R. and Silk Sonic were among the various artists who performed during the award show.
- H.E.R. gave a soulful performance of her song “We Made It,” singing in the air before slowly being lowered to the stage.
- During her acceptance speech, she shared how grateful she was and told audience members that it is “important to recognize and celebrate” each other. She also shared in an Instagram post that “24 [is] off to an amazing start” as the award show took place on her birthday.
- Silk Sonic surprised fans with an exclusive performance of their hit single, “Leave the Door Open.” A group of people who were vaccinated at L.A. Live prior to the award show was given access to a private lounge, unaware that Silk Sonic would be holding a private concert for them.
- As Silk Sonic accepted their award, they shared that it “means the world to them” and promised fans their upcoming album will be worth the wait.
Share this Article
Share this Article