Mulan’s Stunt Double Quickly Becomes High Point of the Film

mulan

Photos of Liu Yifei’s stunt double for “Mulan” have gone viral on social media this week, leaving some users curious about the movie’s fate if she actually played the role.

The double, Liu Yaxi, reportedly shared images of herself as Mulan on Weibo Monday, but somehow took them down shortly after.

Image via @六压七_

Yaxi’s name appears in the movie credits as “Mulan stunt double.”

In another post from 2018, Yifei is seen giving her a kiss and hug.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

今日份爆炸开心!!!超爱你亦菲姐~谢谢亦菲姐的礼物🎁~

A post shared by 刘亚西 YAXI.LIU (@_liuyaxi) on

Yifei did her own stunts in 90% of the action scenes, according to Insider. Apparently, Yaxi completed the remaining 10%.

While some social media users have been critical of Yifei, Yaxi has come to her defense, pointing out that she was not being “replaced” as an actor.

Image via @六压七_

“Martial arts is dangerous, and it’s inevitable that a stunt double will be used ‘cos it’ll be too risky if the actors were to do everything themselves,” Yaxi said, according to 8 Days.

Aside from having a stunt double, Yifei had three stand-ins for lighting and camera tests, Yaxi said. Those actresses did not appear together on set, since different stand-ins were used according to time and location.

Image via @六压七_

Yaxi has since commended Yifei’s acting. She also justified her use of a stunt double.

“I feel that [Liu Yifei’s] professionalism and serious attitude to her work is something that everyone has seen. I don’t know about others, but I’ve learnt [from her] during the filming of Mulan,” she said, according to Mothership.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

旋转跳跃~#mulan

A post shared by 刘亚西 YAXI.LIU (@_liuyaxi) on

Yaxi appears to have an Instagram account — which responds to fan comments — but it has not been verified as of this writing. The profile shared the same photos from her Weibo account around the same time.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by 刘亚西 YAXI.LIU (@_liuyaxi) on

“Would love to have seen you as the actual Mulan who played the role,” one user wrote in the comments.

Another noted, “Yaxi, thanks for making Mulan’s challenging stunts and live action even more vivid. You are a beast in your own way.”

Feature Images via @六压七_

Support our Journalism with a Contribution

Many people might not know this, but despite our large and loyal following which we are immensely grateful for, NextShark is still a small bootstrapped startup that runs on no outside funding or loans.

Everything you see today is built on the backs of warriors who have sacrificed opportunities to help give Asians all over the world a bigger voice.

However, we still face many trials and tribulations in our industry, from figuring out the most sustainable business model for independent media companies to facing the current COVID-19 pandemic decimating advertising revenues across the board.

We hope you consider making a contribution so we can continue to provide you with quality content that informs, educates and inspires the Asian community. Even a $1 contribution goes a long way. Thank you for everyone’s support. We love you all and can’t appreciate you guys enough.

NextShark is a leading source covering Asian American News and Asian News including business, culture, entertainment, politics, tech and lifestyle.

For advertising and inquiries: info@nextshark.com