A new Mulan film is currently in the works in China and it’s already getting fans excited online.
Battle ready: The movie, titled “Fight Mulan” (战斗吧木兰), features Chinese actress Yang Ning playing the iconic female warrior, reports Mothership.
- “Fight Mulan” started filming on Aug. 31 and is scheduled for release on Oct. 5, 2021.
- Not much else is known about the movie but it already has fans talking after a poster and stills from the film emerged on social media.
- Many users expressed hope that the upcoming film would do the character and her story better justice than the most recent release from Disney.
- Others pointed to another Chinese-made Mulan film released in 2009, which starred popular actress Zhao Wei.
Disney’s flop: Made with a $200 million budget, the live-action version Disney released in September failed to connect with the global audience, barely making $67 million worldwide.
- In China, where the film made over $40 million, it was heavily criticized for its acting, plot and inaccuracies.
- The film was at least a success for Disney+, which attracted new subscribers, with some 100,000 people paying an additional $30 to access the film.
- A Chinese-made animated film about Mulan titled “Kung Fu Mulan” also failed to impress viewers in China and was pulled from theaters just three days after release, as NextShark previously reported.