A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- The audition call mentioned needing a girl who could speak Chinese and English. Zhang realized what she was auditioning for after receiving a callback and realizing she would be doing a screen test with Liu.
- “I just want to play interesting characters and tell good stories and this film is really a good story,” she shared. “[Shang-Chi] is a really great story about family and about love.”
- She also revealed that she cries every time she watches the film.
- “The first fight scene I did with Simu, I did punch him in the face,” she shared. “It’s not going to be a fond memory for him, but it felt good. I didn’t mean to do it, I just got into my character. I just went for it.”
- She states that Liu was “super nice” about it and told her it didn’t hurt.
- Liu also gifted her an action figure of Xialiang, which she takes with her everywhere. Her husband brings the action figure around with him to show it off.
- Zhang’s parents also bought all her action figures and have filled their house with them.