Marvel’s latest Captain America-inspired superhero — a female Filipino American college student named Ari Agbayani — will make her debut in an upcoming issue of the limited series “The United States of Captain America.”
In the series: Steve Rogers looks for his stolen shield across the U.S. with the help of former Captain Americas such as John Walker, Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes, according to Rappler.
- New superheroes will be introduced in the fourth issue of “The United States of Captain America,” one of them being Agbayani.
- Marvel shared that Agbayani is “a local Captain America-inspired hero who seeks justice on her college campus. When her school turns a blind eye to fellow students behaving badly, she springs into action — and she’s not afraid to fight dirty.”
- Her character is said to be inspired by Bucky Barnes’ version of Captain America, which is also reflected by his influence on her costume design.
The making: Writers Alyssa Wong and Christopher Cantwell worked with artists Dale Eaglesham and Jodi Nishijima to bring Agbayani’s character to life, according to CBR.
- Wong, who is Filipino American, shared with Marvel that she “immediately knew [she] wanted to write a Filipino American girl” after being asked to make a new Captain America.
- “I grew up without a Filipino American community for the most part, so every time I see a Filipino character, I get excited,” Wong said. “And getting to create one — a Captain America, even! — feels incredibly special.”
“The United States of Captain America #4” will be released on Sept. 22.
Featured Image via Marvel