A GoFundMe campaign set up for a Bangladeshi Lyft driver who died after an alleged drunken driver T-boned his car in Maspeth in Queens, New York, has raised over $55,000.
The incident: Mohammed Hossain, 47, was driving with a passenger when a Ford Explorer driven by Erik Chimborazo crashed into his Toyota RAV4 at the intersection of Fresh Pond Road and Elliott Avenue at around 4 a.m. on Sunday morning, reported WLNY.
- Chimborazo, 22, was allegedly intoxicated and speeding when he ran a red light and hit Hossain’s vehicle.
- Hossain was pronounced dead at Wyckoff Hospital while his passenger suffered minor injuries, according to WABC.
- Chimborazo fled on foot but was eventually arrested when he returned to the scene of the incident.
- After a hospital evaluation, Chimborazo was charged with driving without inspection, vehicular manslaughter, driving without a license, driving without insurance and DWAI (Driving While Ability Impaired).
A tragic loss: Hossain, a married father of three, immigrated to the U.S. to “create a better life for him and his family,” according to a GoFundMe campaign created for him.
- He was a “beloved husband, father, uncle and family man” who always had time for family and friends and left behind “endless memories of his joy, laughter and love.”
- The fundraiser — intended to create a long-term form of charity (Sadaqah Jariyah) for Hossain and also assist his children with financial support — has raised over $55,000 of its $100,000 goal as of this writing.
Featured Image via GoFundMe