Ever wonder what it would look like if a man turns a popular Filipino dish into a weapon to fight crimes? “Lumpia with a Vengeance” probably has the answer.
What is the movie about: “Lumpia with a Vengeance,” a crowdfunded action-comedy film, follows the story of a lumpia-armed crime fighter as he teams up with a teenage girl after she finds herself tangled up with a crime syndicate selling drugs.
- It is up to them to stop the crime boss from destroying Fogtown.
Other details: The film, directed by Patricio Ginelsa, is a reboot sequel to the 2003 movie “Lumpia” that became a cult hit in the Filipino American community.
- Crowdfunding for “Lumpia with a Vengeance” began in 2013 to celebrate the original film’s 10th anniversary, ABC7 News reported. The director managed to raise $50,000 for the movie’s production, which kicked off in 2017.
- The film features former UFC fighter Mark Muñoz as the lumpia-armed avenger and April Absynth as the high school teenager named Rachel. Actor Danny Trejo also stars in the film.
- “When I grew up, I didn’t really see anyone who looked like me,” Absynth said. “The Lumpia movie, this was the first time I had ever seen a female lead who was supposed to be Filipina American.”
- “Lumpia with a Vengeance” won the Audience Award at the Hawaii International Film Festival in November 2020 and made its premiere in San Francisco in April.
Featured Image via KidHeroes