Filmmaker Lulu Wang shot a new short for Apple to celebrate Chinese New Year and showcase the latest iPhone’s camera.
The film: According to Variety, Wang and her team from “The Farewell” and shot the film entirely on an iPhone 12 Pro Max.
- The team worked on “Nian” remotely in the U.S. alongside a mirror crew on the ground in China due to coronavirus travel restrictions.
- Based on a traditional Chinese folktale, “Nian” tells a coming-of-age story of a fearless young girl confronting the titular beast, only to end up creating an unlikely friendship between the two.
Behind the scenes: Apple also shared a behind-the-scene feature of the short, where Wang and the crew go over how they utilized the cinematic features of the iPhone 12.
- “It’s really exciting that we have this opportunity to retell this ancient story, to capture these incredibly cinematic images with the iPhone, this very versatile device,” Wang said.
- The team got to experiment with different creative ways to use the phone for more “angles and perspectives that are just a little bit more unique.”
- “We thought, ‘Oh, why don’t we just put the phone inside of the Nian’s mouth?’ I think the size of it allows us to get all kinds of cool, specialty shots that would be much harder to get with the traditional camera,” Wang elaborated.