More details have emerged on the recent death of a beloved Filipino video blogger, who has garnered more than 5 million subscribers on YouTube.
Gone too soon: Lloyd Cafe Cadena, considered by many as “one of the pioneers of YouTube vlogging” in the Philippines, passed away on Friday at age 26.
- Cadena’s family took to Facebook to announce his passing: “It is with a heavy heart and great sadness that we announce the untimely demise of our beloved brother Lloyd Cafe Cadena.”
- The post, which sought for the “public’s prayers, respect, and privacy,” was posted on Cadena’s own Facebook account that has nearly 7 million Facebook followers.
- While the initial statement did not include the cause of death, a subsequent post on Sunday revealed that the internet personality suffered from a heart attack while asleep.
- Cadena’s family also shared that he tested positive for COVID-19 before his death.
- “Lloyd was confined in the hospital on September 1 due to high fever and dry cough. He was tested for COVID-19 on the same day which the result came out positive on September 3,” the post read.
- According to the post, all his relatives and loved ones isolated themselves after the diagnosis.
- Cadena was cremated on Saturday and his remains were kept in the family’s home in Cavite, Philippines.
Short but stellar career: Cadena, who created his first YouTube channel back in 2010, had over 8 million subscribers across two YouTube channels upon his death. He is widely credited for paving the way for other Filipino content creators.
- Over the course of a decade, Cadena endeared himself to his fans with witty and hilarious takes on everyday Filipino life.
- He also documented his travels and included his friends and families in some of his videos.
- Cadena was also known for his generosity, using his YouTube earnings not only to provide for his family but also to help the needy.
- Cadena’s fanbase, called the “Cadenators,” expressed their sorrow over the loss, filling his social media channels with messages of condolences.
- Cadena’s close friend, YouTuber Michelle Dy, posted a series of messages on her Instagram Story last week.
- “I love you so much Lloyd…and I thank the Lord that I was able to [make] you feel how much you mean to me…I don’t regret anything because I know deep inside I expressed how much I love you and how much I appreciated you and I know you felt that,” she wrote.
View this post on Instagram
- Singer Mariah Carrey, who Cadena named the “Queen of Everything” in a post earlier this year, wrote a post on Twitter grieving the YouTuber’s death when she learned about the tragic news.
View this post on Instagram
So sad 😢 RIP Lloyd, you will be missed 💔 Sending my prayers to his family and friends during this difficult time. https://t.co/V1RvOfAOko
— Mariah Carey (@MariahCarey) September 5, 2020
Feature Image via Lloyd Cafe Cadena VLOGS