Celebrity Ambassador: Liu, who starred in Disney’s live-action version of “Mulan,” now joins the ranks of other Louis Vuitton celebrity ambassadors, such as tennis superstar Naomi Osaka and actresses Alicia Vikander, Emma Stone and Léa Seydoux.
- The announcement was welcomed by Liu’s fans, who praised the endorsement by posting photos of online order confirmations and shopping receipts.
- The actress will be featured in the French fashion house’s spring 2021 campaign, which will be directed by Nicolas Ghesquière, Louis Vuitton’s artistic director of women’s collections.
- Liu is also the global spokesperson for Adidas and was recently featured on the cover of Vogue China.
Controversy: Although Liu has a significant following in China, she has faced backlash due to her support for the Hong Kong police at the height of the Hong Kong protests in 2019.
- Liu was criticized after she shared a Weibo post with the text “I support the Hong Kong police.”
- Several critics and social media users found Liu’s post to be tone-deaf since the Hong Kong Police Force has been accused of using violent tactics to stop protests.
- Liu’s stance did not sit well with Hong Kong citizens, who initiated a campaign to boycott “Mulan.”
- In the film, Liu plays a heroic character who stands against oppression.
Feature Image via Louis Vuitton