BLACKPINK’s Lisa has been making waves in the music industry with her two-track solo debut “Lalisa,” with her newest achievement being that she is the first Thai artist from a South Korean label to top the Billboard rap charts.
As she should: According to Forbes, the Canadian rapper Drake’s single “Way 2 Sexy” from his new album “Certified Lover Boy” was the No. 1 bestselling rap song in the U.S., but now Lisa’s single “Money” has beat it, putting Drake in second place.
- Lisa, who is a member of South Korean girl group BLACKPINK, released her solo debut Sept. 10 and subsequently broke records with her popular single “Lalisa.”
- “Money,” the second single from “Lalisa,” has sold 6,900 copies, while Drake’s single sold 5,900 copies, putting her at No. 1 on Billboard’s Rap Digital Song Sales chart.
- She is the first Thai musician to ever top the U.S. bestselling rap song chart.
- Her solo album was ranked No. 1 in 60 different countries when it was released, and she beat Taylor Swift’s YouTube record for most views for a music video in 24 hours.
- She is also No. 2 on the Billboard Global 200 chart, currently.
“Drop some money”: While Lisa has been breaking records worldwide and proving her musical prowess, many fans believe that her label, YG Entertainment, has not been putting in enough resources towards her promotion in South Korea.
Lisa can’t do music shows bcoz of jimmy fallon but blackpink did jimmy fallon,inkigayo etc..Lisa can’t perform on japanese tv show bt can send a message..Lisa is vaccinated but isn’t allowed to leave the country..brands can’t work with Lisa bcoz of restrictions! It makes no sense pic.twitter.com/SuFeeYxMhI
— ~ (@Angryblackmilf) September 21, 2021
- Lisa broke the record in South Korea for having the highest first-week sales on the Hanteo charts at 729,662 copies sold, surpassing her own group’s record.
- Usually, K-pop artists perform their title tracks on music shows, like SBS’ “Inkigayo” or KBS’ “Music Bank,” during the first week of a single’s release. However, Lisa didn’t have a music show appearance until Sept. 19, when she performed “Lalisa” on “Inkigayo,” according to Digital Life Asia.
- Despite her lack of appearances on South Korean music shows, Lisa won first place at Music Bank making South Korean history as the first non-Korean solo artist to win.
- This isn’t the first time that fans have expressed the belief that Lisa was mismanaged by her agency. Fans felt that Lisa was consistently dressed and styled poorly compared to her Korean counterparts. In 2019, fans pointed out that Lisa was the only BLACKPINK member who re-wore outfits, particularly a pair of black shorts, while the other members wore new outfits for their concerts.
Girl Boss: Lisa’s fans are proud of her achievements, expressing their support on social media.
— dee ◡̈ (@lilimagnifique) September 20, 2021
everybody say thank you lisa pic.twitter.com/gBj4HHVo5B
— lisa pics (@lalisarchive) September 21, 2021
— Mike Adam (@MikeAdamOnAir) September 20, 2021
— emm ♕ (@imyoursjennie) September 20, 2021
Featured Image via 스브스케이팝 / SBS KPOP