Blackpink member Lisa has been on a roll since her solo debut, but some fans are upset with what they deem as cultural appropriation on the K-pop star’s part. One fan felt it was so important that they took time out of a video call with Lisa to confront her on the issue.
Not just braids: Lisa has been breaking records with her single “Lalisa,” but many BLINKs, Blackpink’s fanbase, have taken offense to her hairstyle for the cover of her single “Money,” and a fan told her why, according to Sportskeeda.
- In the pictures for the rap-heavy song, Lisa’s hair is tied up into a high ponytail, but her hair is also in braids in a style similar to box braids, a popular Black hairstyle.
- During a fan meet where the fan was able to talk to Lisa through a video call, the fan told Lisa that many BLINKs were upset about her hairstyle and what they saw as cultural appropriation. Lisa immediately apologized, and the fan uploaded the apology to YouTube.
- Fan meet video calls are usually around a minute long, but Lisa extended the call in order to listen to the fan’s explanation in its entirety.
- In the video, Lisa says in English, “I didn’t know. I didn’t have, like, bad intentions. I thought the hairstyle was very cool.” She continued to apologize for her actions saying, “I feel bad. I’m very sorry…I’ll be very, you know, like, joshimhae? Careful from now on.” “Joshimhae” is the Korean word for “be careful.”
- This isn’t the first time Lisa has been accused of cultural appropriation. In Blackpink’s music video for “Kill This Love,” she is seen wearing pigtails, but they are, again, in the style of box braids.
Lisa and Jennie have acknowledged the severity of cultural appropriation in an interview before but they’re always doin shit like dis I’m tellin u all they r very evil
— LOONA4LYFE⁷ (@hummusings) September 19, 2021
Blinks are telling me they’re just braids, listen if it looks like any type of cultural appropriation it will not be promoted in America. For some reason yg always makes Lisa wear these braids she can be hip hop without the braids.
— jocy⁷ (@whoisjocy) September 19, 2021
Lisa if you could cut the shit with the cultural appropriation that would be fantastic pic.twitter.com/wHkqAruEZR
— (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ Leila ♥ (@hirotosuwasgf) September 19, 2021
For those that got an issue with a fan approaching Lisa about cultural appropriation, you’re a problem. That fan did that shit out of love, not hate. Stop tryna baby these idols, they’re grown. It’s ok to learn and grow when you mess up. Stop tryna coddle them.
— Mamba Reloaded (@wakanda_4life) September 26, 2021
Lisa I love you like cooked food but them braids gotta come out. Everyone saying those are Thai braids no tf they’re not. But when HyunA had these which are Thai braids everyone dragged her but you’re letting Lisa’s Cultural Appropriation slide everytime bc that’s your fav🤡 pic.twitter.com/RLmA0zay3x
— Lei is crying in the club (@AyuzawaTitania) September 20, 2021
lisa extended the call that was supposed to be 1 minute to 6 minutes because she wanted to apologize for her cultural appropriation and learn about it
— ari⁴*⁹| STREAM LALISA (@saidababee) September 26, 2021
To be honest, this is the first time I’ve seen an idol directly apologize for cultural appropriation (CA). Most of the time, it’s always through their label’s statement. Lisa’s fans using her fansign event as a platform to educate her is admirable. https://t.co/lNZ7BBIlDC
— Woke Netizen (@OffendedNetizen) September 27, 2021