- In the pictures for the rap-heavy song, Lisa’s hair is tied up into a high ponytail, but her hair is also in braids in a style similar to box braids, a popular Black hairstyle.
- During a fan meet where the fan was able to talk to Lisa through a video call, the fan told Lisa that many BLINKs were upset about her hairstyle and what they saw as cultural appropriation. Lisa immediately apologized, and the fan uploaded the apology to YouTube.
- Fan meet video calls are usually around a minute long, but Lisa extended the call in order to listen to the fan’s explanation in its entirety.
- In the video, Lisa says in English, “I didn’t know. I didn’t have, like, bad intentions. I thought the hairstyle was very cool.” She continued to apologize for her actions saying, “I feel bad. I’m very sorry…I’ll be very, you know, like, joshimhae? Careful from now on.” “Joshimhae” is the Korean word for “be careful.”
- This isn’t the first time Lisa has been accused of cultural appropriation. In Blackpink’s music video for “Kill This Love,” she is seen wearing pigtails, but they are, again, in the style of box braids.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.