- Spanish luxury fashion brand Balenciaga collaborated with American potato chip brand Lay’s to release a new handbag that resembles a bag of chips.
- Available in red, yellow and blue, the new accessory features a zipper at the top and “Balenciaga Paris” at the center.
- As images of the new handbag have gone viral on social media, reports have also emerged that the new item will be priced at $1,800.
- Social media users, however, have pointed out that a similar-looking bag already exists for sale on Chinese e-commerce site Aliexpress.
- A Lay’s-design crossbody bag costs only $3 on AliExpress, but some buyers have complained it is made of poor materials.
A new Lay’s-inspired Balenciaga handbag rumored to be priced at $1,800 is being compared by netizens to a similar-looking $3 crossbody bag being sold on AliExpress.
Spanish luxury fashion brand Balenciaga collaborated with the American potato chip brand Lay’s for a new handbag that resembles a bag of chips.
Dubbed the “Lay’s-Branded Bag,” the item recently made its debut at Paris Fashion Week and is now heavily promoted on Lay’s social media.
Available in red, yellow and blue, the new accessory features a zipper at the top and “Balenciaga Paris” at the center.
Images of the new bag have gone viral on social media. Reports have also emerged that it will be priced at $1,800.
Social media users, however, have pointed out a crossbody bag that also looks like a bag of Lay’s chips for sale on Chinese e-commerce site AliExpress for only a little over $3.
While many American customers who purchased the bags from AliExpress said they loved the product in the review section, some complained that they were made of poor materials.
Balenciaga creative director Demna Gvasalia, who shared images of the label’s new collection on Instagram, has touted the bag as a “must-have.”
View this post on Instagram
Gvasalia’s post, which has received more than 24,000 likes, generated comments from users poking fun at the novelty item.
“I’ve seen bags like those on aliexpress for a few years now. Great inspo, Demna!” a user commented.
“Seen this before on Aliexpress,” wrote another commenter.