Asian Americans Advancing Justice — L.A., a leading legal and civil rights organization, launched an initiative that teaches bystanders what to do when witnessing anti-Asian hate incidents in their neighborhood.
- The 5Ds include Distract, Delegate, Delay, Direct and Document.
- The PSA is set to air on television and radio in Southern California, according to Rafu Shimpo.
- It will also have subtitles available in Chinese, Korean, Tagalog, Thai and Vietnamese.
- The video was illustrated by Brooklyn-based artist James Yang, the organization shared in a tweet.
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice — L.A. created the initiative in partnership with Hollaback!, a nonprofit organization working to end all forms of harassment.
Online Training Workshops: Asian Americans Advancing Justice — L.A. is also launching free online workshops.
- The one-hour webinars are scheduled for May 7, May 12, May 18 and May 26. Only 500 attendees are being accepted per session.
- Attendees can expect to learn the different types of disrespect Asian Americans can face during these circumstances. The organization will teach them the positive impact of the initiative on the community.
- In addition to the initiative and online workshops, the organization provides other services to the community, including legal and victim assistance and free consultation, advice and representation from licensed attorneys.