Actor Kumail Nanjiani is set to star in and produce a limited series about the male dancers of Chippendales on Hulu.
About the show: The origin series will be an eight-episode series following the story of Somen “Steve” Banerjee.
- The series is titled “Immigrant” but a release date has not been announced yet, reported Collider.
- The show is predicted to be an “insane, early comedic, crime-ridden story behind the unique male revue that became a cultural phenomenon,” according to Deadline.
Background on Banerjee: Banerjee is the American Indian entrepreneur who started Chippendales and will be played by “Silicon Valley” star Nanjiani.
- He was reportedly caught up in a plot to kill Chippendales producers, dancers and choreographers, reports Deadline.
- He pleaded guilty to arson, racketeering and murder for hire.
- Banerjee’s story was featured on Spotify in a podcast called “Welcome to Your Fantasy”.
Whose involved: Nanjiani is developing the series alongside Robert Siegel, the creator behind “Pam & Tommy.”
- Dylan Sellers, Chris Parker, Emily V. Gordon will be helping produce the show. Rajiv Joseph and Mehar Sethi will be writers and producers.
- The series is coming from 20th Television Studios.