- Whipple, 23, admitted to the killing. She pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in December.
- With the plea, she effectively avoided trials of felony murder, burglary, robbery and stolen vehicle charges, which she initially faced.
- Whipple did not offer any statement during her sentencing hearing.
A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.
Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.
Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.
- Whipple reportedly tried paying with a fraudulent credit card at first. She then told Nguyen that she would get money from her car.
- As Nguyen and her boyfriend chased after Whipple, Nguyen was hit by Whipple’s car, a black Chevrolet Camaro.
- CCTV footage captured Whipple accelerating her vehicle and running over Nguyen, dragging the nail salon manager about 50 feet outside her salon.
- Nguyen later died at the University Medical Center of Southern Nevada.
- Using fake identification, Whipple fled to Boulder City, NV. She then drove to Los Angeles. It was later discovered that her car was stolen from a car rental agency.
- Two weeks after Nguyen’s death, Whipple was arrested in Glendale, AZ, NextShark previously reported.