- Luna, a former member of the K-pop group f(x), will be making her Broadway debut this fall in an upcoming musical titled “KPOP.”
- The announcement of the Broadway premiere was made on Wednesday at the Korean Cultural Center New York in Midtown.
- The musical will tell the story of K-pop superstars preparing to perform a one-night-only concert.
- Luna will play a character whose inner struggles threaten to destroy one of the biggest labels in the K-pop industry.
- “KPOP” is expected to begin previews on Oct. 13 and will officially open to the public on Nov. 20 at the Circle in the Square Theatre in New York City.
Luna, a former member of the K-pop group f(x), will make her Broadway debut in the upcoming musical “KPOP” this fall.
The musical’s Broadway premiere was announced on Wednesday at the Korean Cultural Center New York in Midtown, with Luna and the show’s creators in attendance.
KPOP is coming to Broadway! Join the fandom at the Circle in the Square Theatre starting October 13, 2022. See Luna, founding member of the leading KPOP group f(x), starring as MwE! pic.twitter.com/7pOy4PLIuF
— KPOP The Musical on Broadway (@KPOPBroadway) March 30, 2022
According to the musical’s official website, “KPOP” tells the story of several K-pop superstars preparing to perform at a one-night-only concert. The inner struggles of one star, played by Luna, threatens to destroy the biggest label in the industry, however.
Luna, who has previously starred in the Korean productions of “Mamma Mia” and “In the Heights,” expressed her excitement for her role in the upcoming musical at Wednesday’s press event, describing it as “the honor of [her] life.”
“Anyone who has followed my career knows that musical theater has always been a driving passion of mine,” Luna said. “Broadway represents the pinnacle of achievement in my profession, so being able to bring my culture – this Korean art form – to the fans who flock here from all over the world to see a Broadway show is the honor of my life.”
The musical, composed by Helen Park and Max Vernon, will be directed by Teddy Bergman and produced by Tim Forbes and Joey Parnes.
“The driving force of this production of ‘KPOP’ has always been to fuse the vibrant, joyful and wildly entertaining world of K-pop with the powerful storytelling of a Broadway musical,” Forbes and Parnes said on Wednesday. “In the world of K-pop, no one embodies these elements better than Luna. We are thrilled to introduce Broadway audiences to one of the most exciting music superstars in the world.”
“KPOP” is expected to start previews on Oct. 13 and will officially open at the Circle in the Square Theatre on Nov. 20 in New York City.