Nonprofit organization Kollaboration is hosting a free virtual conference that aims to empower AAPI creative professionals through a series of keynote sessions, panel discussions, workshops and mentorship sessions.
The annual event: “EMPOWERD 2021,” which will be held online via YouTube and Facebook Live on May 22, features panel discussions with artists, actors, writers and directors. Award-winning journalist Lisa Ling and director of “In the Heights” Jon M. Chu will be making special guest appearances.
- The topics include freelancing, industry changes, narratives of diversity and empowerment through entertainment.
- This year’s speakers are “Birds of Prey” actor Ella Jay Basco, “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier” actor Desmond Chiam and rapper Ruby Ibarra. Others include Lena Khan, Kato on the Track, CB Lee, Bao Nguyen, Prathi Srnivasan, Fawzia Mirza and Naia Cucukov.
- There will be three panels and guest performances by G Yamazawa, Milck, and Sung Beats as well as a fireside chat with Basco and Ibarra.
The panelists: Actor and Kollaboration Board of Directors member Minji Chang said it has been “humbling” and “empowering” to see the impact Kollaboration has had, and their team is “passionate about lifting up our aspiring creators and infusing positivity into the global community.”
- Basco is “happy” and “proud” that she’s part of a “proactive generation” and is grateful that there are AAPI role models “who are leading the way for a more diverse, just and kind society.”
- Chiam added that Kollaboration was “already a name in his head” and commended them for their work to “bring visibility to the Asian American experience.”
- Ibarra said, “I feel very inspired to be a Filipina American artist pursuing a creative career at this moment in time. I love that there is growing visibility of our arts and I am excited to see what’s next.”
Register for the free virtual conference here.
Featured Image via Kollaboration