The start of this week saw several concerts and music festivals kick off around the world, from KAMP LA 2022 to BTS in Busan and BLACKPINK in Seoul. While soloists such as CHUNG HA collaborated with other artists, other acts released their first English singles and experienced their first wins during music shows.
Korean American singer MRSHLL teamed up with producer Moon Yirang for the song “GOOD GOOD.”
Lee Chan-Hyuk of sibling duo AKMU released his first solo EP, “ERROR.” The album is packed with 11 tracks, with one of them featuring CHUNG HA. Every track was written, arranged and composed by Lee. “ERROR” is led by the title track “Panorama.”
AKMU are featured in an episode of the Netflix series “Take 1,” which dropped last Friday. Lee also made headlines this week after a dating rumor about him and Fromis_9’s Lee Saerom started circulating. YG Entertainment responded on behalf of Lee by saying they are unable to comment on the personal matter.
FNC Entertainment’s rap and rock boy group N Flying dropped their eighth mini-album “Dearest.” The album comes with six tracks in total and is led by the song “I Like You.” N Flying’s leader Lee Seung-hyub wrote and co-composed every song. The group’s other members – Cha hun, Jae-hyun, Yoo Hwe-seung and Dong-sung – were involved with composing and arranging the final track, “Shooting Star.” The album is the group’s newest release in over a year. It is also their final comeback before Cha Hun and Kim Jae-hyun’s military enlistments.
The hip-hop pair Dynamic Duo released a new song titled “She Gonna Stop” that features South Korean rapper Leellamarz and was produced by TOIL.
Boy group WEi are back with their fifth EP “Love Pt.2 : Passion,” which is the second installment in their “Love” series of albums following “Love Pt.1 : First Love” back in March. This latest work has six songs in total, with “Spray” – a song that member Jang Daeh-yeon helped co-write – as its title track.
Rookie girl group mimiirose gave their B-side “Lululu” the music video treatment.
Soloist CHUNG HA once again teamed up with Danish pop singer Christopher for “When I Get Old,” a new collaboration released under Warner Music Korea. The last time the pair were together for a song was in 2020 for the single “Bad Boy.”
EXO’s D.O. added to his OST discography with the song “Bite” for the legal K-drama “Bad Prosecutor,” where he also plays the lead role.
Seung-min of Stray Kids lended his vocals to “Close to You” for the OST of the K-drama “Love in Contract.”
JYP Entertainment quintet ITZY dropped their first English-language single “Boys Like You,” a prerelease track for an unknown project.
K-pop girl group aespa dropped a “BRLLNT Remix” of their hit song “Girls.” They were also included on Time magazine’s “Next Generation Leaders” list.
Other K-pop news
- RBW Entertainment has launched an investigation into ONEUS member RAVN for alleged infidelity and sexual misconduct toward an ex-girlfriend.
- BLACKPINK will make their U.K. music festival debut at BST Hyde Park London in 2023.
- BLACKPINK member Jennie debuted a new solo live during the group’s “Born Pink” concert in Seoul this week, while member Jisoo performed a cover of Camila Cabello’s “Liar.”
- The inaugural KAMP LA 2022 K-pop festival lost half of its artist lineup a day before showtime due to visa issues, with some netizens dubbing it “KAMPFYRE” and comparing it to the infamous FYRE Festival.
- NCT Dream announced an upcoming worldwide film titled “In a DREAM.”
- The Rose broke records as the highest-charting Korean rock band to debut as the no. 4 album on Billboard’s Heatseekers chart.
- Boy group DKZ won their first music show trophy since their 2019 debut.
- Former AOA idol Seol-hyun is leaving label FNC Entertainment after 10 years.
- Soloist icon Rain has sued a YouTuber and other netizens for allegedly spreading cheating rumors connected to him.
- Minnie of (G)I-DLE performed a rendition of Lauv’s song “All 4 Nothing (I’m So In Love)” with the American singer-songwriter.
- (G)I-DLE’s new album “I Love” ranked No. 1 on iTunes charts in over 40 regions.
- CLC members Sorn and Seung-yeon made a video rating the outfits they wore during their time with the now-disbanded K-pop girl group.
- Congratulations to Changmin of TVXQ, who became a father on Oct. 17.