Alibaba Co-Founder to Pay $2.35 Billion to Own the Brooklyn Nets

Alibaba Co-Founder to Pay $2.35 Billion to Own the Brooklyn Nets

August 15, 2019
Joseph Tsai, the Taiwanese-Canadian co-founder of e-commerce giant Alibaba, is set to become the sole owner of the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets after acquiring the franchise for a total signing deal of $2.35 billion.
The 55-year-old businessman already owns 49% of the team after he bought the share last year for $1 billion. However, unnamed sources told the New York Post that Tsai is now close to signing the deal to buy the remaining 51% from Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov for $1.35 billion.
Subscribe to
NextShark's Newsletter

A daily dose of Asian America's essential stories, in under 5 minutes.

Get our collection of Asian America's most essential stories to your inbox daily for free.

Unsure? Check out our Newsletter Archive.

Tsai reportedly locked in the right to buy the remaining half of the share before the 2021-2022 basketball season when he bought the 49% share last year. This would expedite the purchase if the businessman signs the deal two seasons early.
This marks the highest-paid sports franchise, beating last year’s top purchase made by David Tepper when he bought the NFL’s Carolina Panthers and Tilman Fertitta’s $2.2 billion acquisition of the NBA’s Houston Rockets in 2017.
Tsai, who Forbes estimates to be worth $9.9 billion, was also in talks in March to buy the Barclays Center, according to the report.
Featured Image Screenshot via YouTube / Recode
      Bryan Ke

      Bryan Ke is a Reporter for NextShark




      Many people might not know this, but NextShark is a small media startup that runs on no outside funding or loans, and with no paywalls or subscription fees, we rely on help from our community and readers like you.

      Everything you see today is built by Asians, for Asians to help amplify our voices globally and support each other. However, we still face many difficulties in our industry because of our commitment to accessible and informational Asian news coverage.

      We hope you consider making a contribution to NextShark so we can continue to provide you quality journalism that informs, educates, and inspires the Asian community. Even a $1 contribution goes a long way. Thank you for supporting NextShark and our community.

      © 2023 NextShark, Inc. All rights reserved.